PCPoradenství.cz
Jste přihlášen jako: Neregistrovaný | Přihlášení

Nejste přihlášen. Nezapomeňte se přihlásit nebo zaregistrovat!

Zaslat odpověď   Tisk vlákna    Poradna -> Periferie

Vrabel takes a slightly

chenyan94
Účastník

Zobrazit informace o autorovi Zobrazit autorovy WWW stránky
PříspěvekZaslal: čt Říj 11, 2018 8:17    Předmět: Vrabel takes a slightly Citovat

After finishing his first draft as general manager of the New York Giants Adidas Evgeny Kuznetsov Jersey , Dave Gettleman got a laugh when asked his thoughts on his six picks.

With his heavy Boston accent, Gettleman said no GM is going to walk into a press room and tell the media he drafted garbage.

Garbage wasn't the word he used, but the meaning was clear. He could have stretched the truth if he wanted, but it wasn't necessary.

"I'm thrilled. We got big butts. We got power. We got speed," said Gettleman who momentarily stopped to apologize for his choice of words. "And we got a quarterback we really like. I am not angry."

Coming off a 3-13 season that cost coach Ben McAdoo and general manager Jerry Reese their jobs, the Giants seemingly found value and filled need with every pick in the NFL draft that ended Saturday.

They feel they got the best player in the draft in Penn State running back Saquon Barkley with the second pick overall. They had a first-round grade on guard Will Hernandez of UTEP when they took him in the second round.

Edge rusher Lorenzo Carter of Georgia and defensive tackle B.J. Hill of North Carolina State had second-round grades when taken in the third round.

Quarterback Kyle Lauletta of Richmond and defensive tackle R.J. McIntosh of Miami were right where the Giants felt they would be in the fourth and fifth rounds, respectively.

The picks will create competition on a team that needs to be pushed by new coach Pat Shurmur.

Gettleman also knows the job of building a roster is far from over.

"It takes time," he said. "Folks, you have to understand that Rome was not built in a day. This is a brick-by-brick deal and at the end of the day we are going to keep making moves and shake up the back end of the roster until we get it right."

ELI STILL THE ONE: The decision to grab Barkley and ignore the quartet of quarterbacks taken in the first 10 picks overall clearly shows the Giants think 37-year-old Eli Manning has good years left. Taking Lauletta in the fourth round also shows the team wants backup Davis Webb, the third-round pick last year, to have competition in training camp.

THE BARKLEY FACTOR: Barkley should give the Giants their first legitimate home run threat out of the backfield in more than a decade. What makes him unique is he is a three-down player who runs with speed and power, and can catch passes. And in the NFL, opposing defenses can't focus on him like in college. There's Odell Beckham Jr., Sterling Shepard and tight end Evan Engram to worry about.

"I think that's why I was brought here, to bring an impact to the running game, to have that same domination that I had in college where a team wants to just shut me down, and then it just opens up everyone else," said Barkley, who had 53 total touchdowns in three years with the Nittany Lions.

THE O-LINE: The offensive line will be dramatically different than the banged-up, inefficient unit that played last year. Hernandez should be able to start at one of the guard positions along with free agent signee Patrick Omameh. Fellow free agent Nate Solder is set at left tackle and Brett Jones returns at center. The only question mark is right tackle. Ereck Flowers has been asked to move from the left side to the right http://www.broncosauthorizedsh.....dom-jersey , but his status is uncertain; he has refused to take part in the voluntary offseason activities and minicamp.

NEVER ENOUGH: Gettleman is a believer in never having enough good players. The additions of Carter, Hill and McIntosh gives the Giants a dozen pass rushers when veterans Kareem Martin, Olivier Vernon, Damon Harrison, Dalvin Tomlinson, John Mauro, Romeo Okwara, Kerry Wynn, Robert Thomas and Avery Moss are added in. Should be an interesting camp.

STILL NEED: A big receiver is needed. Veteran Brandon Marshall was let go after failing his physical last week. New York has other guys who played last season, but no one combines height and speed that can stretch the field. The Giants could use one more inside linebacker for depth in the new 3-4 alignment. With Eli Apple coming off a bad season and Janoris Jenkins returning from ankle surgery, a cornerback would help.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Marcus Mariota has shown flashes of brilliance during his brief NFL career.

He had a perfect passer rating in his NFL debut and led a 19-point comeback for his first playoff victory.

Now Mariota heads into his fourth season with only his fifth-year option on his contract guaranteed.

It’s time for Mariota to consistently show what he can do, especially after the Titans hired a new coach in January to put the quarterback into an offense that better fits both his arm and legs.

“I don’t focus on trying to prove anything,” Mariota said Wednesday. “I’ve just got to go out there and do my job.”

Before the Titans make a long-term commitment with a much larger contract, Mariota starts a window Sunday in the season opener in Miami to show if he really is their franchise quarterback. Even though he has had to learn his third offense in four years, that hurdle may not help get him beyond the $20.9 million he is due in 2019.

Mariota already has won 20 games, most by any quarterback in his first three years with the franchise since George Blanda won 28 in this team’s first three seasons. He also has a chance to become the franchise’s first quarterback to lead the team to the playoffs in back-to-back years since Steve McNair in 2002 and 2003.

But Mariota is coming off a season where he had more interceptions (15) than touchdowns (13) for the first time in his career. He also has yet to play in all 16 games in a regular season.

The Titans hired Mike Vrabel to replace Mike Mularkey in January , and Vrabel hired Matt LaFleur as his offensive coordinator and Pat O’Hara as quarterbacks coach. They worked with Mariota on widening his stance and tweaking his passing mechanics during the offseason to give him more balance when throwing, hoping that leads to improved accuracy.

“He’s done a good job,” O’Hara said. “He’s picked up a lot of good traits Vladimir Sobotka Jersey , and he feels good about it and he believes in it. We’re ready to go.”

Mariota is ready to go. He missed last year’s trip to Miami, a 16-10 loss, with an injury.

“This is what you work hard for,” Mariota said. “Everything that you’ve done this offseason, you have an opportunity to go out there and kind of show what you’ve done. I’m excited. I’m excited for this team and I look forward to the challenge.”

Dolphins coach Adam Gase has the challenge of preparing for Mariota in a new offense with the Titans tipping nothing in the preseason.

“It is difficult because there are a lot of options that can take place to where it could be just normal drop-back pass., it could be zone read, it could be play-action where if we’re not really doing a good job with our rush lanes and something opens up, he takes off,” Mariota said.

Teammates insist Mariota has nothing to prove to them. This is the quarterback who threw a block for Derrick Henry in their comeback victory in Kansas City, a game where he also scored after catching his own pass.

“I think Marcus is always cool and collected,” three-time Pro Bowl tight end Delanie Walker said. “He’s going to go out there and play his game. Again, we’re paid to make our quarterback look good. He’s going to need our help for that. We just need everybody to make plays, and Marcus will be all right.”

Two-time Pro Bowl left tackle Taylor Lewan said Mariota already has shown plenty.

“I think the confidence as never swayed anywhere other than we have full confidence in Marcus,” Lewan said. “He’s our quarterback. We’re very lucky to have him.”

Vrabel takes a slightly different approach. The coach said every player and coach should be trying to prove his value every day.

“That’s just the approach we have to take,” Vrabel said. “Every day we’re trying to prove our value to the team. If Marcus didn’t come to work tomorrow, everybody would notice. You never want to be a guy that when you didn’t show up for work or you were late, nobody really noticed.”

NOTES: S Kendrick Lewis (foot) was the only player not to practice Wednesday. Even RT Jack Conklin (left knee) was among four Titans limited at practice, including LB Derrick Morgan (knee), LB Rashaan Evans (hamstring) and LB Harold Landry (ankle).

Přidat nové téma   Zaslat odpověď   Tisk vlákna    Poradna -> Periferie Strana 1 z 1

Odeslat rychlou odpověď:
Uživatel: 

Přejdi na:  
Můžete přidat nové téma do tohoto fóra.
Můžete odpovídat na témata v tomto fóru.